Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Number Order

     I don't know about you, but I assign my students numbers at the beginning of the year.  This number order is alphabetical by their last name (as this is how my roster is listed), but if I gain additional students during the year, I do not renumber everyone, I simply assign them the next number in our list.  Using student numbers is essential for me because it helps me to make sure that I have everyone in my line when we are going somewhere, it helps me make sure I don't leave anyone out when I am making plans for the class, when I'm creating guided reading groups, etc.  I'm sure there are lots of other ways to use student numbers that I would love to find out about as well!
     Student numbers can also be useful teaching tools.  I often call students to turn in assignments, check their cubbies, come to the carpet, etc. by their numbers.  After the first few weeks of school, I start to ask my firsties if they can find a pattern in the numbers that I'm calling--turning a simple management task into a learning activity.  It makes teaching skip counting and even/odd numbers easier to teach because the students are familiar with these concepts from our daily routines!
     Using numbers instead of names is also budget savvy.  By using numbers to label cubbies and file folders, I can reuse them from year to year because I will always have a number 8, but I won't always have a "Suzie".  I have a stack of file folders that I keep for students' graded papers, tardies/doctor notes, and, of course, their cubbies--all of which are labeled with numbers.  I have been using them for several years now with great success and they're all in good condition.
    My number is up to 24 this year--wHeW!!!  While I have never had a number quite so large before, I truly am enjoying teaching these 24 little cuties.  They are a great group of 6 & 7-year olds!  What are some ways you use student numbers in your class?

No comments:

Post a Comment