Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Holiday "Eye"-deas!

     The 2nd quarter has arrived and I, for one, am LOVING it!  My kids & I are in a routine, the weather is getting cooler {less humid anyway!}, and the holidays are right around the corner!!  I am a huge fan of all things Halloween, Fall, and Christmas and I enjoy finding ways to incorporate these themes into our learning.   Luckily, there are some pretty AmAzInG teacher bloggers out there who post lots of fantastic ideas to use with your students!  I've been scouring and felt that this one idea in particular just had to be shared.  Check it out below…
     My favorite new *idea* I have started using in our classroom is the "Eye" Like What I See behavior incentive packet created by Katie Knight at Teacher To The Core.  It is precious and is perfect to introduce this month with the goofy, monster-like faces!  Basically, I put up a small "Eye" Like What I See poster on my front white board and, each time the students do something to blow me away/go above and beyond, they earn a smiley face.  10 smiley faces = class reward :)  In addition, I also purchased a small glass jar from Hobby Lobby, filled it with googly eyes, and added a small chalkboard label that says, "All eyes on YOU!".  At the end of each day, the table that has been the most well-behaved gets to keep the jar on their table for the next school day, earns a point for their Class Dojo monster, and their table gets to go first for all of the activities on the following school day.  This incentive program goes hand in hand with the current behavior management program that I use and doesn't take a lot of extra class time or materials to implement.  It has been a great motivator for my students to really work as a team and try their best each day.  It's funny how a little jar of googly eyes can work for 7 & 8-year olds :)  Here are a few pics of the materials that Katie includes in her packet…did I mention it's FrEe on TpT?!?  She rocks!!!

     I'm going to stick with this little program for the 2nd quarter and then change it up in the 3rd quarter when my students come back in January.  Gotta keep 'em on their toes!  Happy teaching!



1 comment: